How to Apply for Scholarships
Here’s how it works:
- There are lots of great resources to find out about and apply to scholarships. We recommend using ScholarMe.
- Research and apply for scholarships as early as your freshman year of high school and continue applying every year throughout high school and college.
- Make a list of scholarships that you may be eligible to receive.
- Scholarships don’t need to be repaid, so putting in the effort up front to apply for scholarships will be worth it in the end.
Use these tips:
- Make the time. Set aside a dedicated amount of time each week to research, apply for, and check the status of your scholarships.
- Master the essay. Application committees look for what sets you apart, so craft your essays around what inspires you.
- Get an editor. Ask someone to review your applications for grammar and flow.
- Consider who you know. Some workplaces and civic groups offer scholarships, so ask family and friends if they have connections.
- Remember that small amounts add up. For every $20,000 award, there are thousands of smaller awards that receive far fewer applicants.
- Ask your college. If you know where you’re going to college, check with their financial aid office for help with your search.